Sunday 21 October 2012

Week Starting 15th Oct

Mon, Oct 15, 2012 6:14 PM
4.24 mi, 33:56 (8:00/mi) - After the GER yesterday I didn't really want to run much this week, but I needed to make sure that I got out for a run today so just kept it nice and slow and not long at all.
Even at 6:00pm it was already completely dark so had to make the most of running on the path, to use the lighting! I didn't actually feel that bad considering blowing up in the GER, the pain ache and pain was in my glutes. Made sure I had a really good stretch at the end of this as well.

Tues and Wed
I was going to plan to have the rest of the week off, but after feeling really lazy I couldn't do it. Tuesday I went down the track anyway to have a little chat with Churchy just to discuss the race on Sunday and his thoughts. Also had a good little chat about the next possible races. Fenland 10, NVH 10 and XC relays came up. Along with potentially entering Abbey Dash 10k.
This week I decided that I would run at the North Mids League at Derby, get the XC cobwebs out.

Thu, Oct 18, 2012 6:16 PM
7.50 mi, 58:59 (7:51/mi) - Ran from mine with Edgars down to the track and met up with a few guys just for a slow run out on the Winter route. Birthday boy Dickens made another appearance on the road to his marathon training. First run I've done in weeks without leggings on as well. Felt quite good after the two lazy days off.

Fri, Oct 19, 2012 5:21 PM
5.19 mi, 40:42 (7:50/mi) - Steady run out in the rain just before the North Mids League in Derby tomorrow. Felt quite shitty, calves felt a bit tight - had to do my shoes up half way round so I think this was half the problem. I wore my heart rate strap for once, absolutely hate wearing it but like to see what my heart rate is like in a run. Averaged 149 bpm, which to be honest, I have no idea what that means? Had a good stretch when I finished, didn't bother with any strides because I was cold and wet so just went for a hot shower instead.

Sat, Oct 20, 2012 1:13 PM
2.00 mi, 16:00 (8:00/mi) - Went round with Edgars and Aaron just on a lap of the course, nice steady pace as always. Course was quite wet and muddy, especially around the back where the hills were. Looking like it was only going to get worse I wasn't really fancying it in 9mm track spikes!
Followed up by drills, stretching and strides as always.

Sat, Oct 20, 2012 1:55 PM
6.12 mi, 35:49 (5:51/mi) - First real cross country of the year at Derby in the North Mids League. Was a bit of a messy one, as we had run round the course before the start we knew it was a bit wet under foot all the way around, especially up the hill.
Set off at a good pace, 5:23 which left me just behind Edgars sitting about 20th. Second mile we came up the worst of the mud, already I was struggling to find a decent line through it and in doing so was mentally draining. Even with 9mm spikes in I was literally slipping everywhere, and I don't have any proper xc spikes yet so I had to wear my track spikes which made it even worse with the plastic base plate. Downhill wasn't as bad in the mud, but spikes still slipping, especially at the back - the force also hurt my knee more than uphill or the flat, nothing too bad but was just irritating. Up the next hill wasn't too bad actually, the ground was just about firm enough to put some power down.
Amazingly looking through my splits mile 2 and 3 were both 5:47:41!
Coming into the mid part of the second lap, mile 4, and my pace dropped slightly but the a lot of guys were passing me. I was also catching Edgars which was massively motivating. Going up the hill the next lap was even worse than before, after all of the men's field had been up there (200-250 or so) it was almost unrunable. Coming up to the start of the third lap I managed to catch Edgars and went past him, by the looks of it he was struggling so I tried to pull him around with me but he wasn't able to. Last lap was slightly slower than the first, but kept the same pace up as the second. Pushed on near the end of the lap up the hill again, but got outsprinted on the line by a lad from OWLS. Ended up in 35th in a time of 35:50.


Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:42
0.83 mi, 8:40 (10:29/mi) - Only had chance to get a small warm down in as had to shoot off straight away after the race. My calves felt horrific, especially my left one. Had a good stretch but still was pretty awful.

Sun, 21 Oct 2012 11:03 
14.72 mi, 1:54:32 (7:47/mi) - Long Sunday run with Edgars, Sean and Vernau for 20 minutes (had to go and pump iron). Warmest day in ages, actually wore a t-shirt and shorts! Not a bad recovery pace, overall felt quite good, just had a bit of pain in my right knee. Had a little bit of a stretch half way round, and considering I had gone out the night before until 3. Took a bit of a different route coming into Ferry Meadows as we didn't want to risk getting muddy shoes ...
Other than my knee the only other issue was being hungry, only had some toast before the run. Legs surprisingly felt great, shame they didn't feel that good yesterday.

Weekly Mileage - 40.60 Miles
Quite surprised that I managed to get 40 miles in this week, having not run Tues and Wed and not doing much the rest of the mid week. Overall I think I recovered quite well from GER, didn't intend on doing any running in the week but I am quite glad I did now as I feel quite good on Saturday - would have just helped if I could run in the mud! Hope to get back up to some good mileage again (60+) in the next few weeks and I'm really looking forward to going out to train with the lads in Portugal, get to a good shape and then run sub 33 in the Abbey Dash. Well ... that's the plan!

Thanks for reading as always, retweets would be grateful!

@josh_lunn  

No comments:

Post a Comment