Monday 3 December 2012

Week starting 26th Nov

After not doing my blog last week due to a lost ANT stick I'll give you a quick wrap up.
I managed to break my record mileage again, hitting 91, finishing off yesterday with a 16 miler after work in the cold, dark and rain!

Mon, Nov 26, 2012 6:22 PM
9.08 mi, 1:05:51 (7:15/mi) - Still trying to keep the pace up from a few weeks back, hoping this will get me improving fast with the high mileage also. Standard to see Edgars out tonight, got Tommy along as well, good to see him getting up to some real fitness again. Will give us a mean steeplechase team next year for the BAL.
Just the single run today.

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 6:31 PM
2.79 mi, 22:11 (7:56/mi) - Warm up for the session, again no run this morning. Session was 14 x 400m at 10k pace.

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 7:13 PM
14 x 400m @ 5k pace ^ 60 secs (3.97mi inc recov)
Trying to work off 75s which is around about 15:37. Anyway, set off as a group of 6-7 which was great to see for a session and meant a few of us could take it in turns at the front as it was a bit windy on the back straight, reps as follows. 75, 73, 70, 72, 72, 73, 71, 72, 72, 69, 70, 69, 69, 69. Bit faster than planned but felt already, and finished strong.

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 7:59 PM
1.42 mi, 11:04 (7:49/mi) - Warm down, just ran home with Edgars, was too cold to do anymore!

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 5:41 PM
9.86 mi, 1:14:00 (7:30/mi) - Bit slower today, felt a bit rough after yesterday, and I think because I was wearing tights I always seem to struggle running in them. Tommy, Edgars and I again, after a slight de-tour (3rd time we've got lost within 5 miles of home in a week!) we were just under 10 miles.

Thu, Nov 29, 2012 6:53 PM
5.03 mi, 36:42 (7:18/mi) - Ran to the track and then met up with Tom and Pre. Edgars and I almost choice to add on another 2 miles and run back to the track and back home as we have to run past ours on the way, but it was literally freezing so we decided to bail on it and have a hot shower instead (not together)!

Friday
Chose not to run today after feeling really light headed on the bus on the way home. Hopefully in a month or two I won't have to use the word bus again ...

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 3:44 PM
5.05 mi, 34:38 (6:51/mi) - Bit of a shake out really before the race tomorrow, feeling pretty confident that I should get a pb. Reasonable pace today, just worried of the cold tomorrow.

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 10:03 AM
1.45 mi, 11:09 (7:41/mi) - After a hectic morning, with poor preparation we only managed 11 minutes warm up. Not helped by getting there a bit late and then Aaron forgetting my vest!
      
Sun, Dec 2, 2012 10:30 AM
10.00 mi, 54:27 (5:27/mi) - Finally on the start line, good start not like at Leeds. First 3 lads were straight off and for a minute I was tempted to set off with the Tipton rest, but thought better of it. First mile 5:18 settled in with the familiar site of Edgars looking down on me. From here really we just ticked off the miles, it was amazing how fast they seem to go. Didn't really see anyone else through the whole race it was quite bizarre. Through half way we hit 27:04, which I was pretty pleased/shocked at, looking at most Frostbites that would put us top 5 alone. Through 5, 6, 7 miles all I could think of was the fact I wish I had worn a t-shirt and gloves as my whole arms were purple. Slight mishap at 7 miles as I got a bit of a stitch, but seemed to disappear. Unfortunately Edgars managed to get a few metres on me, which I didn't really close back up for another mile on a fast downhill section. With a mile left I knew the race was on, and we were both almost red line and with no aid from a slow bridge section I knew it would be hard to break him. A quick look over my shoulder saw no threat from behind, and nothing in front to chase really either, so it was a dead race between us both, Eng vs Lat. I knew if we had a reasonably fast last mile we could also dip below 54:30 which would smash the target time before the race. Approaching the finish, with about 50m to go, the finished had disappeared from last year and neither of us had any idea where to go! In turning the last corner level I knew the inevitable would happen and as I put my little legs into top gear he seemed to effortlessly skip away and beat me by a second. Smashed my time from about a month ago by almost 90 seconds. One of the best races I think I've ever run.

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 11:45 AM
4.19 mi, 32:53 (7:53/mi) - Good warm down, calves felt a little bit tight but no biggy. Glad to get some extra clothes on and keep warm!

Total Mileage - 52.82 miles.
Massively happy with how this week has gone, tapered down nicely for the race on Sunday and now have a massive PB to show for it. Looking at Po10 rankings that puts me 6th U23 for the distance this year, although in some what a less competitive distance, still looks tidy. 
Next big race to look forward to will be Ribble Valley 10k, 30th Dec where I think I can smash the time I ran at Leeds.
Looks like the mileage is now really starting to benefit, especially with some quality guidance from James as well, really looking forward to the next few months.


Thanks for reading again! 

1 comment: